Easter Lilies are a beautiful sign of spring, but be sure to keep them away from cats.  The plant’s leaves are poisonous, causing lethargy, vomiting, kidney failure, and even death.  If your cat has eaten the leaves, take it to a veterinarian immediately.  Cats seem to be the only animal affected by the Easter Lily.

 

There are many common plants, both house plants and garden plants that have  been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or call the ASPCA 24-hour emergency poison hotline directly at 1-888-426-4435.

 

 

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 21st, 2011 at 3:26 am and is filed under Annuals, Gardening Tips, Great Pyrenees Dog, House Plants, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs, Perennials, Uncategorized, Wild Life. You can leave a comment and follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Leave a Reply